Arctic Midday. Daily Diving at the White Sea
Provisional program schedule by day:
Day 1 – Transfer from the railway station or the airport to "The Arctic Circle" Dive Centre and Lodge (Nilmoguba village, Karelia, Russia). Check in the hotel at the dive centre. Briefing, welcome meals and getting acquainted. Sightseeing walk around the Dive Centre and the Lodge premises and some rest. Assembling and preparation of diving equipment. Pre-dive briefing and a check dive in the vicinity of the dive centre. The second dive at one of the dive sites of Maliy Krestoviy (Small Cross) Island. Kelp forest, starfish, crabs.
A hearty dinner and Russian bath (Banya) in the evening.
Days 2-5 – Daily diving programme (2 dives per day for qualified divers, with speedboat transfers). The program includes:
- Dives on the well-known 'Sea Anemones Rock' dive site in the vicinity of the Cross (Krestoviye) Islands;
- Drift diving in the tidal current;
- Dives on the 'Coral Pinnacle' dive site ('Banochka');
- Wreck-diving: dives to the ship-wrecks 'Nautchniy' and 'MRB';
- Lectures on biology and geology of the White Sea.
Day 5 – When the diving program is finished, a farewell dinner and departure from the Dive Centre late in the evening. Transfer to the railway station or to the airport.
The program schedule may be changed according to the weather and other conditions
- An excursion to our reindeer farm and sled dog breeding kennel.
- An excursion with a picnic to the Panfilova Varakka hill, where pegmatites, quartz and mica used to be quarried. The mining of minarels ended a long time ago and the quarry became a man-made canyon, but the slopes are still full of quartz, muscovites (mica), and white sodium feldspar. There is a wooden geodesic tower - triangular - on the top of the hill. One can watch superb sea views from the hilltop.
- Excursions to the White Sea Biology Station of the Moscow State University, to the 500-years old Pomor village of Chyornaya Rechka, and to a number of islands.
Note: Excursions are not included into the diving program and are to be paid extra.
The prices of excursions are given in the price list of our Excursion centre.
The price of participation in the daily diving program for the coming season is given in the Dive Centre price list.
Due to the varying currency rates the Arctic Circle Dive Centre reserves the right to change the prices at any time.
Itineraries can be tailor made on request;
The number of days in the program can be changed upon request;
Overnight stays in Kuusamo can be arranged;